While conventional security tools have made great progress in endpoint protection, they can miss many types of advanced threats such as ransomware and phishing attacks. However, raw telemetry generated at the endpoint provides critical data that broadens visibility and improves the processes of threat detection and response.
Let’s explore the essential benefits of raw endpoint telemetry, how it fits into your security solution as an endpoint security tool alternative, and the resources available to optimize your data.
The Benefits of Raw Telemetry from Endpoint Security
Collecting raw endpoint telemetry data provides clarity to the big picture of threat detection, empowering security professionals to identify and remediate threats with greater accuracy and fewer mistakes.
It’s impossible to perform the most thorough threat detection, investigation or hunting without the full picture of data to work with. Comprehensive endpoint telemetry data adds important context to the threat investigation process of your endpoint security tools, informing the identification and remediation methods of threats. The problem with many endpoint security tools is that they only provide processed data that is relevant for that vendor and product, but not the raw telemetry, which is essential for broader correlation, analysis and investigation.
Better threat detection
Raw telemetry provides better detection of threats that have evaded existing security controls,
making it possible to detect anomalous user and system activity such as data leakage, insider threats, phishing, and ransomware. Security professionals gain increased visibility to unwanted or harmful applications while expanding the pool of activity and behavior data to better support threat hunting.
Fewer false positives
Conventional endpoint security products may detect many possible threats, but without the proper context, don’t have the rules in place to weed out false positives. As a result of generic rules and use cases, these systems are notorious for producing dreaded alert fatigue. Security teams can end up wasting precious time investigating false positives and low-priority threats without the proper tools to identify the threats that matter most.
Raw telemetry data fills in the blanks and helps create rules that can significantly reduce the number of false positives, saving time and resources for the most important threats.
Optimize Raw Endpoint Telemetry Data With Cysiv Sensor
Cysiv Sensor is a lightweight software agent that continuously collects raw telemetry in the form of system data from Windows desktops, laptops, and servers, and routes it to the Cysiv SOC-as-a-Service platform.
- Comprehensive telemetry collection: Collects system activity data on running processes, network connections, files created/modified, executed commands, loaded drivers, registry modifications, DNS queries and responses, URL access, login sessions, and Windows Event Logs
- Event filtering and enrichment: Gathers only security-relevant events, and enriches events with valuable data including geo-location, file hashes, volume and file system details
- Dynamic routing and cache: Forwards events to hosted Connector if the on-premise Connector is unreachable
- Flexible deployment methods: Supports interactive EXE installer, MSI through GPO, command line, PowerShell, silent install, Microsoft Intune deployment package, all while installing no driver and requiring no reboot
- Remote management: Manages Sensor configuration for event collection remotely, including Windows audit and group policy settings
- Low resource footprint: Utilizes limited energy and resources
- Automatic updates: Features optional automatic updates to Sensor software
To learn more about how Cysiv Sensor transforms endpoint telemetry, download our Cysiv Sensor data sheet.